Watts Innovations has unveiled a new variant of their PRISM aircraft: the Superlift Edition. Designed around the established PRISM airframe, the Superlift Edition boasts a remarkable payload capacity of up to 60lbs. This enhancement enables the drone to achieve an all up weight of 140lbs. While standard operational requirements might necessitate payloads ranging between 10-15lbs, the Superlift Edition, available in both PRISM Sky and PRISM Lite configurations, offers users the option of elevated payload and performance.
However, given that the aircraft surpasses the 55lb weight limitation, it doesn't fit within the scope of Part 107 operations. To undertake legal testing of the aircraft, the Watts Innovations team resorted to an FAA Approved Test Site. The testing was carried out under Cape May County's Certificate of Authorization (COA) to ensure complete compliance.
Here are some technical details regarding the Superlift Edition of the PRISM aircraft:
- Aircraft Weight (Excluding batteries): Approximately 42lbs
- Aircraft Wheelbase: 1380mm (measured diagonally from motor to motor)
- Maximum Payload Capacity: 60lbs
- Total Aircraft Weight Capacity: 140lbs
- Battery Configuration: 4x 12s 16,000mAh
- Flight Duration: Between 15 to 45 minutes, contingent on the payload
- Propulsion: Coaxial X8 with a 34-inch propeller
- Top Tested Speed: 60 mph
- Control Systems: KONTACT GCS and Futaba FMT-02
- Guidance: Auterion Skynode coupled with Cube